The Sahuarita Unified School District serves the residents of approximately 606 square miles in Pima County. Located just south of Tucson, the school district serves more than 5,800 students in preschool through 12th grade.
Sahuarita Unified School District has four elementary schools, one K-8 school, one middle school, two high schools, an alternative secondary school, and an early childhood center. In addition, there are a variety of on-site community programs available before/after school and during summer break.
The location of Sahuarita Elementary School was located just east of the Sahuarita cotton camp. In 1957, 40 acres of land were purchased to build a new elementary school. The new Sahuarita Elementary School opened in 1959.
Sahuarita was an elementary district until 1958 when voters approved the formation of a high school district. It wasn’t until 1964 that a high school was an actual need for the area. In 1966 the construction was completed on the new high school and the school opened its doors to 142 students.
With a steady increase in population during the 1960s, it was determined that there was a need for a new junior high in Sahuarita and a new elementary school at the Arrivaca Junction (Sopori). In 1970, Sopori Elementary School opened its doors to 200 students.
The two prefab buildings that had comprised the old Sopori school were relocated to the Sahuarita campus and remodeled to be the District Administration building. In 1971, Sahuarita Junior High opened. The building had a student capacity of 400 and comprised of 8 classrooms surrounding a learning resource center, home economics rooms, and an art/craft room.
- 1948 Twin Buttes School District No. 21- expansion to 108 sq. miles
- 1950 Unorganized territory in Helvetia- expansion to 187 sq. miles
- 1953 Sierrita School District 75 and other land parcels- expansion to 286 sq. miles
- 1959 Southern two-thirds of the San Xavier Papago Reservation- expansion to 361 sq. miles
- 1966 land deannexed to Vail/ Sunnyside- reduction to 343 sq. miles
- 1967 Sopori School District No. 49- expansion to 626 sq. miles
- 1970 “Mexican Corridor” south of Arrivaca deannexed- education to 607 sq. miles
- 1966 Sahuarita Elementary School Pacemaker Award for the State of Arizona
Safe Campuses – The District is committed to creating safe and orderly learning environments that are drug, weapon, and violence-free.
Strong School Environments – The District is committed to creating school environments that support the physical, mental, cognitive, and emotional well-being of students, including athletics, fine arts, and afterschool programs.
Organizational Culture – The culture of our schools will be orderly, friendly, and conducive to learning.
Highly Qualified Staff – The District will attract, hire, and retain highly qualified staff and provide opportunities for professional growth and development.
Instruction – The District will provide highly effective instruction using effective methodology, professional development, and program frameworks that are goal-oriented, best practices, individualized, and data-driven.
Curriculum – The District instructional program will be standards aligned, articulated, and individualized in focus.
Student Accountability – Academic growth on an annual basis will be an expectation.
Communication – The District will provide exemplary communication through regular publications, use of technology, timely follow-up, and formal structures that advance this outcome.
Community Outreach – The District is committed to developing and maintaining strong community, family, business, educational, media, and governmental linkages.
Customer Loyalty – The District will serve students, families, and the community in a manner that results in this organization being regarded and trusted to provide the best educational services.
Finances – The District will demonstrate effective and efficient utilization of financial resources. The District will make appropriate and responsible budgetary decisions.