2015 Bond Ballot Measure
The prospective $40 million bond focuses on capital improvement projects districtwide – including plans for significant renovations, replacing portable buildings with permanent classroom additions and the construction of new K-5 school – as well as a significant investment in technology and classroom equipment. There is also a plan to phase-in the purchase of climate controlled student buses.
"The bond program is designed to locally address large capital issues related to growth, need for new facilities, building renovations, and capital equipment," said Dr. Manuel Valenzuela, Superintendent. "Currently, the State new school construction program does not indicate budget capacity to construct new schools. Our growth has averaged over 3.0% over the last five years. Similarly, capital improvement dollars have been cut significantly. For example, our allocation for this year has been cut 85%. This measure provides an option to locally address these shortfalls related to identified needs regarding our buildings and major capital equipment. If it does not pass, then the organization will be faced with a potential shortfall of classroom space in the near future, along with unmet renovations, including needed projects at some of our older buildings."
Why the bond now?
- All previous bond funds have been expended for designated school improvement projects
- Capital budget reductions have slashed the capital budget from $2.6 million to approximately $400,000.
- Student population growth continues at an average rate of 3.6%.
- School budget reductions in the last 5 years have been $8 million, largely in the area of capital outlay.
What are the proposed projects?
The 2015 Bond
Sahuarita Unified School District hosted two public forums to discuss the bond initiative. View the Community Forum Presentation.
More community forums will take place as follows:
- August 20th Info Session: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the Rancho Sahuarita Clubhouse
- September 10th Info Session: 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. at the Rancho Sahuarita Clubhouse
- October 15th Info Session: 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Rancho Sahuarita Clubhouse
See the summary of results of a community survey to determine the level of public support for proposed elements of a 2015 bond initiative for the district.
- Notice to submit supporting or opposing statements for the 2015 bond election (English)(Spanish)
- 2015 Sahuarita USD Bond Election Notice (English) (Spanish)
- 2015 Summer Newsletter p. 8
- 2015 Community Postcard
- Bond Presentation
- Sahuarita USD Voter Information Pamphlet